Swimming is a good form of exercise for kids and adults. It is a sport that requires the use of all the body parts in order to be performed accurately and safely. For pregnant women, swimming is also an ideal form of exercise to maintain the good condition of both the mother and the baby.
Sometimes people do have misconceptions about swimming as an activity for pregnant women. They say that engaging to this sport will just put the lives of the mother and the baby at risk. But as time goes by, studies and researches proved that these ideas are not true. As a matter of fact, swimming gives a lot of benefits for pregnant women as well as the babies in their tummies.
1. Swimming helps strengthen the pregnant woman’s hips аnԁ thigh muscles, abdomen аnԁ spine which is necessary for safer delivery. It keeps the mother and the baby safe throughout the pregnancy period.
2. Regular swimming starting on the first trimester improves the mother’s cardiovascular fitness. Swimming strengthens the lungs and the heart thus providing proper oxygen circulation in the body that is needed by both the mother and the baby.
3. An hour of vigorous swimming also helps improve the sleeping habit of expecting mothers and prevents the development of sleeping disorders.
4. Swimming can also prevent the development of pre-eclampsia. Pre-eclampsia is a medical condition in which hypertension arises during pregnancy and also the development of significant amounts of protein in the urine. This condition should be prevented because it puts the life of both the mother and the baby in danger.
5. During pregnancy, body and muscle aches also occur. But mothers can avoid these by engaging themselves to regular swimming.